Tuesday, October 24, 2006

If I fall back down…

Last Friday, I was reminded of what it is like to be a living, breathing human being. Spending most of my time in a shirt and tie and behind a desk, I had started to forget who I really was, and what had defined me for the past 5 or 6 years. These days it’s all business up front with very little party in the back.

My rock and roll brother had hooked me up (as he always does) with an all-access backstage pass, to see Rancid at the Henry Fonda Theatre in L.A. Not only was I reminded that I used to be the guy who rocked, but I was also reminded that Rancid are amazing. It was the perfect rock show. Consequently the 3 Rancid albums on my Ipod received heavy rotation over the weekend, specifically on the long drive home.

The weekend was full of ups and downs and I had about 12 hours to digest what all had happened, and reflect on my life as I drove that slow moving truck across the desert. As I reflected, I realized that during the good and the bad times, there was always one constant variable: my friends were always there for me. Call me corny, cheesy, whatever, but I couldn’t help but listen to the Rancid track “Fall Back Down” and think of the individuals in my life who always “helped me back up again.”

So here it is, my shout out to all those who’ve braved life’s storms, and stuck with me through the hard times. You know who you are.

To the one who always makes me feel cooler than I really am and helped me find my wife when I thought I was destined to die alone. To the ones who gave me a place to live when my own family would not offer. To my #1 dawgg who keeps me laughing and on my toes. To the ones who let me talk their ears off until the wee hours of the night about my favorite conspiracy theories. And last but not least, to the one who’s committed to the long haul, and has stuck through think and thin. I salute you all and I know “If I fall back down, you’re gonna be my friend.”

9 Comments:

Blogger King Family said...

Talk about "If I fall down"...Seth and I have been talking about the one and only constant in our lives and that is TFL....you have been there for it ALL the good and the bad....Thank you so much for the move this weekend...we are forever in debt to you my friend....
BTW, Katie told me that Johnny woke up as a chicken the other day....we couldn't stop laughing.

9:48 AM  
Blogger TFL said...

I appreciate the kind words BM. The move was nothing. Remember when I lived in your apartment for 3 weeks (or was it more?)? Our two families definitely are committed to being there for each other, and it sure is nice to have you in our lives. I know the circumstance is less than ideal, but we’re thrilled to have you back.

As for Johnny, it sure has been fun to see what animal he will be each morning. The chicken was funny, because he still had a scratchy little morning voice, and couldn’t even open his eyes. Other favorites include the horse, cow, cat and dog. I walked by the other day as I was getting ready for work and he was on his hands and knees on top of his bed, barking like a dog and sticking out his tongue. Sometimes he’ll start making the noises before he even wakes up. However, his new thing as of the last 24 hours has been walking up to someone, sticking out his hand, and shaking hands with the other person. Then walking off.

12:45 PM  
Blogger A Sound Salvation said...

"True friends will always be there" --- Sick Of It All - "Good Looking Out" - from the album Built To Last

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

our pleasure.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Sammy Pow said...

Musty - Let me jump in on the feelings parade just long enough to say that you're my number #1 dawg. Thanks for keepin it real.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No to change the subject, but I thought you may be interested in this auction .

5:18 PM  
Blogger Sammy Pow said...

TFB, you would try to capitalize on this emotional high that we've got here on this blog. Shame on you.

5:22 PM  
Blogger King Family said...

TFL,
Any day now.....maybe this is why you arn't your mom's motherboy.

3:06 PM  
Blogger King Family said...

Let's go already....I will find a topic for you. Write about being kicked out of a band....hahahahahahaha

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home